Pages

Sunday, June 5, 2011

What is Red Neck Living

If you look the term red neck up in a dictionary you will find that the term is supposed to be derogatory. Red neck was a term developed by rich people to identify poor white farmers. Often men who worked in the fields all day had red necks due to sunburn, tan, or red clay dust. This red ring around the neck signified someone considered “dirt poor.”
My opinion of the term Red Neck is very different. I believe that both men and women can be red neck. In my neck of the woods it doesn’t matter if your neck is red, white, black, brown, or yellow. If you work hard, love your family, and enjoy the simple pleasures of life you are probably a red neck.
I am definitly a RED NECK and I wear this label with pride. In a society that is focused on getting ahead, being better than everyone else, and stepping on others to get where you want, I think there are many worse things to be than a red neck. In fact, I would rather be a red neck and live the simple life than hurt others or gauge my life by the things I own.
While red neck may be a label, I also believe it is a way of life. Red neck individuals know how to take care of themselves and the people they care for. We don’t need a platnium mastercard to feed our family, even if we do own one. We work hard, plan for the future and put our love for family, nature, and simplicity first and foremost.
We will take deer hunting over the opera any day and we love to fish, garden, swim in the creek, and enjoy the sunset everynight. We take the time to realize the beauty all around us and we respect the land that supports our family and way of life. If you hold these same values true, hold your head high and pronounce that you too are a RED NECK.

No comments:

Post a Comment